I found the recipe I want to use, from a cook book titled: How to feed your whole family a Healthy Balanced Diet by Gil Holcombe. (notice I give credit where credit is due???yeah, school has had its influence)
LENTIL AND VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE
This soup is nice and thick, and you can thin it to taste with stock or milk. If you want a no-fat soup, simply add all the vegetables and lentils to the stock, and simmer until tender. "Use red or yellow lentils if you want to avoid soaking them in advance, otherwise brown and green lentils or chick peas will do the job."
200g (1 cup) red lentils
2 small potatoes
1/2 small swede (Swedish turnip may have to substitute for regular old American)
1 smallish parsnip
2 cloves garlic
1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
225ml (1 cup) milk
1 level tbsp curry powder (optional)
- Peel and chop the vegetables
- Warm the oil in a very large saucepan and gently soften the garlic and onion. Add the curry powder if using.
- Add the lentils and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetables and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes or so.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend, season to taste and serve garnished with parsley if you wish. (wonder how important this is? I dont own a stick blender...what do you think?)
Shopping this week for items and cooking this weekend?
we will be living off meals I recently froze this week due to: School starting, Basketball games starting, going back to work (I need to order books!) and a whole lotta crazy going on